General podiatry assessments are suitable for those patients whose foot problems are mostly skin or nail related. A general assessment will identify the potential causes of these concerns which will improve the long-term outcome for our patients. We also offer treatment plans and options as well as advice on footwear to alleviate your problems.
A general podiatry assessment includes:
- Diabetic screening, neurovascular examination and Doppler Ultrasound/ABI.
- These tests are aimed at identifying issues with circulation and sensation to your feet. Diabetes is a known cause of poor peripheral circulation and can result in loss of feeling to extremities. It is vital to either rule out diabetes as a cause of foot problems, or to ensure adequate management of the condition.
- Balance/stance testing and foot ROM/muscle testing.
- The intention of these tests is to identify any weaknesses or imbalances in your musculoskeletal system which could be contributing to your problems.
Finally, we carry out a footwear appraisal to determine whether your current footwear could be contributing to, or exacerbating, your discomfort.
Treatment options following a general assessment include:
- General skin and nail care, including moisturising treatments and paraffin wax foot baths to add moisture, open pores and help remove dead skin cells.
- We can also remove corns and callouses using specialised podiatric equipment, reducing the pressure and pain associated with these conditions.
- We will also advise you regarding the most suitable footwear to ensure improved comfort and a reduction in your foot problems.
- When appropriate we will provide you with a footwear prescription.