General Podiatric Assessment
General podiatry assessments are suitable for those patients whose foot problems are mostly skin or nail related. A general assessment will identify the potential causes of these concerns which will improve the long-term outcome for our patients. We also offer treatment plans and options as well as advice on footwear to alleviate your problems.
A general podiatry assessment includes:
- Diabetic screening, neurovascular examination and Doppler Ultrasound/ABI.
- These tests are aimed at identifying issues with circulation and sensation to your feet. Diabetes is a known cause of poor peripheral circulation and can result in loss of feeling to extremities. It is vital to either rule out diabetes as a cause of foot problems, or to ensure adequate management of the condition.
- Balance/stance testing and foot ROM/muscle testing.
- The intention of these tests is to identify any weaknesses or imbalances in your musculoskeletal system which could be contributing to your problems.
Finally, we carry out a footwear appraisal to determine whether your current footwear could be contributing to, or exacerbating, your discomfort.
Treatment options following a general assessment include:
- General skin and nail care, including moisturising treatments and paraffin wax foot baths to add moisture, open pores and help remove dead skin cells.
- We can also remove corns and callouses using specialised podiatric equipment, reducing the pressure and pain associated with these conditions.
- We will also advise you regarding the most suitable footwear to ensure improved comfort and a reduction in your foot problems.
- When appropriate we will provide you with a footwear prescription.
A biomedical assessment is conducted to diagnose pain in lower limbs and feet and forms the basis for a treatment plan.
A biomedical assessment is a thorough process starting with the patient’s history of pain and symptoms. Referrals for X-Rays, Ultrasound or MRI are required, with follow up interpretation of diagnostic images.
- In addition, the assessment involves analysis and testing of foot posture, lower limb strength and coordination, range of movement, foot pressure analysis and gait analysis during both walking and running.
- We also conduct a 3D laser foot scan which gives a full analysis of your feet and can be used to design orthotics to correct irregularities which are causing dysfunction and pain. This assessment also includes a discussion of the most appropriate footwear to assist with your condition.
Treatment following a biomedical assessment will be based on the findings of the assessment and identification of issues with your feet, lower limbs and gait.
- Options may include shoe inserts, taping or FS-6 compression.
- You may also be given a footwear referral or prescribed orthotics.
- Other treatments work on improving your gait, flexibility and strength, and include massage to loosen muscles and acupuncture to reduce pain.
- Referrals to other health professionals will be provided if you require further assessment or treatment.
We stock an extensive range of comfort footwear which includes thongs, sandals, wedges, ballet flats, loafers and lace-ups.
- Our brands include Scholl Orthaheel, Vionic, Revere, Anodyne.
- We also carry Orthosleeve FS-6 compression and Callusan foot hydration foams.
- Not to mention, we have a strong affiliation with Rebel Sport Maroochydore for your sporting footwear needs.
Call Sunshine Coast Orthotics and Podiatry on (07) 5456 2562 to book an appointment or enquire about our services.